New database scheme (was RE: [opencms-dev] new bee)

Alex Kandzior alex at opencms.com
Sun May 21 11:21:04 CEST 2000

> how are you going to deal with autoincrement columns, which you use in the
> current DB schema? Some DBMS (e.g., IBM DB2) dont directly support those.

I guess we will move this autoincrement logic in the Java code. We are
working on a new "database driver" scheme. The idea is first to have a
generic SQL database driver wich should work for almost any database. Of
course, the driver will implement a new interface. The driver interface
implementation will consist of the access logic (now in the broker layer)
and the request / sql part (now in the access layer). Then we develop a
loader mechanism wich is able to load this driver/interface dynamically.
Next step will be to develop some special optimised drivers for common
databases wich may make use of propriatory features (did someone say PL/SQL
:-).

> Have you ever considered to move your DBMS access to an object-relational
> mapping tool? I can recommend Castor (www.exolab.org), which is open
source,
> and already quite stable. As far as I now Castor would be able to take
care
> of key generation issues as well.

Not yet. Definitly looks interesting, though. Currently we are very
concerned about performance. Any idea how that kind of object-relational
mapping impacts query perferomance?

Regards,

Alex.

Alexander Kandzior