New database scheme (was RE: [opencms-dev] new bee)

Christian Sell christian.sell at netcologne.de
Sun May 21 21:27:01 CEST 2000

>I guess we will move this autoincrement logic in the Java code. We are
>working on a new "database driver" scheme. The idea is first to have a
>generic SQL database driver wich should work for almost any database. Of
>course, the driver will implement a new interface. The driver interface
>implementation will consist of the access logic (now in the broker layer)
>and the request / sql part (now in the access layer). Then we develop a
>loader mechanism wich is able to load this driver/interface dynamically.
>Next step will be to develop some special optimised drivers for common
>databases wich may make use of propriatory features (did someone say PL/SQL
>:-).

sounds like reinvemting the wheel over again. I see the castor people doing
very similar things in their framework (and have done them myself before). I
think there is so much work still pending on the core OpenCMS functionality,
why not let somebody else take care of the low-level technical
infrastructure? I just finished running my first tests with OpenCMS 4.028 on
WinNT and Linux, and using the editor I was always able to crash it with a
few steps.

>Not yet. Definitly looks interesting, though. Currently we are very
>concerned about performance. Any idea how that kind of object-relational
>mapping impacts query perferomance?

I dont think that performance is necessarily affected negatively by the use
of a mapping framework - it all depends on the quality of the
implementation, and how you use it. After all, you may end up coding the
same stuff yourself if you dont use a preexisting tool. However, the best
place to ask these questions is on the castor-dev mailing list.

regards, Christian