[opencms-dev] Performance Issues / Next Steps

Alex Kandzior alex at opencms.com
Wed Aug 9 19:48:45 CEST 2000

Hi all,

there have been some questions about performance issues of OpenCms,
especially with the Workplace (administration pages). Facts are: OpenCms
uses a caching mechanism for all generated output pages. Therefore, the
performance for the end-user website is ok. However, since the Worplace HTML
is highly dynamic in nature (with filelists and all), caching here is almost
impossible. So solve this problem, we are currently evaluating strategies to
improve performance using other methods than caching. As soon as we have a
complete first draft of our ideas, I will post them here for further
discussion.

We are currently working on a easy-to-use programmer documentation (like the
enduser documentation we already have published), where the basics of
OpenCms programming are explained. This will be available end of August. We
will start with the performance project after the documentation project has
been finished.

End of August there will also be an updated OpenCms website and a better
demo system for download with the distribution.

In the meantime, other project teams are working on multilanguage/multisite
management and a better to use module system to extend the Workplace. These
projects will likley be finished somewhere in September.

Best Regards,

Alexander Kandzior
OpenCms Group
mailto:alex at opencms.com <mailto:alex at opencms.com>