[opencms-dev] Trouble with restricting access (4.1.x)

Ohlemeyer Matthias Matthias.Ohlemeyer at EK-Grosseinkauf.de
Tue Sep 12 14:05:59 CEST 2000

Hi,

trying out different opencms versions 4.1.x including 4.1.35 I ran into a
few problems. My goal is to use it as a publishing system for some parts of
an intranet with some areas of restricted access. However I did not manage
to create an area, where only a certain group has access. This group was
created as an opencms group derived from the guest group. The users in this
group need not have any editing rights on the website, they just have to be
provided with some more or less confidential information.

When I tried to set this up with opencms I first created a group with
editing rights and restricted r, w, an v access to a certain folder to this
group. After publishing the project I tried to access the pages in the
folder and was prompted with a login dialog, not the login dialog for the
opencms workplace but the Basic Authentication dialog. When entering the
apropriate username/password or even the admin username/password I was not
given access to the requested page.

Can anyone help? Is opencms suited at all to satisfy the above need to
create intranet areas with restricted access?

BTW: In 4.1.35 when requesting not the login.html but explorer.htm I
experience exactly the same problem: The Basic Authentication dialog appears
but no username/password combination works.

Matthias Ohlemeyer
GEWA m.b.H.