AW: [opencms-dev] Problems after Installation

Hafemeister, Olaf Olaf.Hafemeister at t-systems.de
Thu Mar 22 13:53:15 CET 2001

Hello Olga,

thank you for your answers.

> Hello, Olaf!
> Sorry that I'm not answering your question, but you are the
> first person i
> hear who installed CMS on Tomcat and I would like to know how
> did you did
> it. I'm trying the whole week without any success.

The installation of opencms under iis and even apache with tomcat was straight forward.

After installing apache and tomcat 3.2.1 and the required dll's (isapi_redirect.dll for iis and mod_jk.dll for apache) you have to include the tomcat in the server.

Apache: move mod_jk.dll to apache/modules and insert "include "full-path-to-tomcat/conf/mod_jk.conf-auto" into the http.conf-file. That's all.

IIS: A documentation of how to integrate tomcat ist implemented at the Tomcat-program-path (/<Tomcat-Home>/doc/tomcat-iis-howto.htm). This will help you to install the Tomcat under IIS 4. You must make the entries to the registry, install the isapi_redirect.dll under the IIS-Management-Console and create the jakarta virtual directory to the isapi_redirect.dll.

Tomcat:

OpenCMS can be installed standardly.

You must install all JAR-Files (xerces, mysql, mailapi, ...) required for Opencms into the tomcat/lib directory. Then you must decompress the opencms.jar file into tomcat-home\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes.
Edit the file web.xml under tomcat-home\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF like:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

<web-app>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
            opencms
        </servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            com.opencms.core.OpenCmsServlet
        </servlet-class>

        <init-param>
            <param-name>properties</param-name>
            <param-value>opencms-home full path/config/opencms.properties</param-value>
        </init-param>
   </servlet>
</web-app>

That should be all. You can then reach opencms under "http://yourserver/servlet/opencms/..."

> I think that maybe your problem is about writing permissions on your
> folders. By default you have only read permission on your
> webapps directory.
> Try to edit tomcat.policy file to change the permissions.

Can you tell me, which permissions I have to set (what is the webapps-path)?

> By the way, what kind of messages do you get in your log
> files after you try
> to create or edit object? Maybe you get some JavaScript
> errors on the bottom
> line of your browser? Take a look on it, maybe it will give
> you some idea
> what is going on.

There are no messages, because we dont get a possibility to edit or create something. You should now, that with version 4.0.30 everything was ok. We had also tested the version 4.1.57, which had the same problems as 4.2.

Olaf Hafemeister