[opencms-dev] OpenCms with W2K, IIS and MS SQL7

Alexander Kandzior Alexander.Kandzior at framfab.de
Mon Jun 25 10:26:36 CEST 2001

Hi,

some postings recently regarding OpenCms on a Windows 2000 configuration. I
like to comment with some insights on what we think the "official" status
is.

Developing the OpenCms core is almost exclusivly done on Windows 2000
machines with Apache, Jserv & mySQL. So call that a standard configuration.
We know installation is a hassle but we have what we have right now.

IIS support _should_ come when Tomcat is fully supported. Tomcat and IIS
seem to work ok together. Full Tomcat support in OpenCms is due soon. August
latest. That should solve the IIS thing. That should also make installation
much easier.

MS SQL 7 is another story. Basically it should work using the "generic"
database driver. Read generic as "standard ANSI SQL". However, there seem to
be some issues regarding "Date" datatypes which seem to behave differently
on MS SQL then expected by the generic driver. But about 90% of the SQL in
the generic driver is ok with MS SQL 7. Creating a customized driver for MS
SQL 7 could be done by extending the generic driver and overwriting the
methods that require a customized SQL for MS SQL 7. Also, it would require
creating a database setup script. Did anyone say "I volunteer" ;-)

Regards,
Alex.

OpenCms Group