[opencms-dev] Don't see how to do anything with new project - explorer is blank

John Collins jcollins at cs.umn.edu
Tue Nov 13 22:22:59 CET 2001

I'm evaluating opencms for a client in the US, a medical practice group.
 It looks like it has many of the right features.

I've installed it on one of my RedHat 7.1 systems, the install and setup
seemed to go well.  I can log into the admin area.  However, the
explorer is completely blank, just two blank panels side by side, under
the standard header bar.  I though maybe that was because there were no
projects yet.  I created a project, specifying the root folder as
suggested in an earlier message.  Still nothing in the explorer view.  I
don't see any way to create new folders or content or anything.  The
user documentation seems so out-of-date as to be useless, and the
on-line help is in German.  When I try going back to the admin view in
Netscape, the browser crashes.

I've tried viewing the admin site in both Netscape 4.76 and in Mozilla
0.9.4, the only difference I can see is that under Netscape the layout
is badly munged but seems to work, and in Mozilla the layout looks fine.
 Plus, Netscape crashes frequently, and Mozilla doesn't.  I've got a
Mozilla 0.9.5 on another Linux machine I could try, and there might be a
copy of IE on a Macintosh around here somewhere.  However, I have no
Windows machines available at this point.  I expect the client will be
happy with using IE for administration, but I don't have it available to
me at this point.

Am I missing something, or am I just out of luck without a Windows machine?

Thanks.

John Collins