[opencms-dev] language file problem

Massimiliano Alessandri m.alessandri at tiscalinet.it
Mon Nov 19 17:51:29 CET 2001

>Hi list.
>
>Does anyone know how to make a persistent change to the language files,
>e.g. add a new tag or change the value of an existing one? I made
>changes to 'core_de' located in vfs/system/workplace/language under
>Tomcat as well as directly to the file in the database. The changes are
>persistent in the database, but they won't show in OpenCms. So what file
>does OpenCms actually use for displaying language specific text, and
>where is it located?
>
>Any answers would be appreciated.
>
>Tobias Gaekle
To add a new tag you should edit the workplace template files adding new
<label> tags to display the new tags you define.
For instance:
<LABEL value="button.back" />
displays the <back> tag which is defined inside the <button> tag in the
language file.
These changes won't show in OpenCMS if you edit the VFS folder files,
because they're only used to import the workplace when a new installation
is performed.  But these files should be edited to redistribute your new
language files.
You should rather edit the /system/workplace/config/language/de/core_de
file into the database, using the workplace tools.
After editing this you have to publish the project (this is required in
order to make changes persistent).  Then restart Tomcat.
I personally defined a new "core_it" language file for the OpenCMS
workplace and will soon add it to the CVS tree when I'll obtain write
access to the repository.
Regards

Massimiliano Alessandri
Rome, Italy