[opencms-dev] J2SDK 1.4.0/Tomcat 4.0.2/OpenCMS 4.4.6/MySQL 3.23.48: "Trying to drop database ... Failed"

tiger.boogie at t-online.de tiger.boogie at t-online.de
Tue Feb 12 01:54:59 CET 2002

> Hi,

Hi

> 1. I'm giving my first shot at OpenCMS 4.4.6, and even after searching
> through the archives of this mailing list, I'm stuck when it tries to
> create its database and tables in MySQL.

The documentation is quite alpha so keep on asking.

> In other words, Tomcat 4.0.2 is successfully running as a stand-alone
> application on my RedHat 7.1 test host alongside MySQL 3.23.48 and the
> j2sdk-1_4_0-rc RPM package.

Try anything above 1.3 and anything below 1.4 for installing and then if everything works fine test the 1.4 rc (release candidate).

> - Resource broker = mysql
> - Database Server Connection = root (no password)
> - OpenCms Connection = root (no password)
> - Connection String = jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/
> - Database = opencms

This looks good to me, but if you want to be then use passwords, and in a latter stage (on a second install maybe) use two different users.

> In the http://mylinux:8080/opencms/ocsetup/create_database.ocjsp page, it
> says:
> Trying to drop database  ... Failed

Well normally thsi fails because the database doesn't exist yet. Just dropping it in case you already have a db with that name. But in your case, see below.

> Creating database ... Failed Creating database ("java.sql.SQLException:
> Server configuration denies access to data source")

Did you set the permissions right ? Using mysqlaccess or mysqladmin you can configure who is allowed to connect and from what host. In your case (as you are not bound to a specific nameservice) I would recommend allowing all hosts to connect to the database (the sign for all hosts is '%'). That will solve most of your problems. I deeply encourage you to use passwords for your db.

> The OpenCMS documentation does not talk about installing JDBC, so should I
> assume it is part of the  j2sdk-1_4_0-rc-linux-i386-rpm package that I
> installed?

No the jdbc-driver for mysql comes with opencms. No need to worry about that.

> FWIW, I also tried using admin/admin for either or both accounts instead of
> root/<empty>, to no avail.

Try setting the hosts to any host (%) for every user to use to access the opencms-database.

> 2. I only installed the above Java-related package. I'm confused between
> JDK, J2DSK, and JRE: Which one do I need to run OpenCMS? Is JDBC yet
> another package that needs to be installed?

Don't be confused, pick a stable one (1.3.x) and you'll be fine.

Maybe also test if you can connect from the command line (using the mysql tool) and report if problems persist.

Cheers,
Martin