[opencms-dev] Re: JSP Support in 4.6.0

Patrick Pyette ppyette at perimind.com
Tue Mar 26 05:06:22 CET 2002

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.  This sounds pretty feasible, but I do have a couple
of questions.

The implication that I'm picking up from your description is that we would
create the JSP from the Explorer view, so that the JSP itself is fairly
static, but at least it's managed via openCMS and will allow GUI designers
to continue to operate within openCMS and still use the workflow mechanism.

I'm assuming then, that the idea would be to create a tag library that would
allow JSP developers  to access the openCMS templating mechanism and dynamic
content?

Does this sound like what you had in mind?

I'm not exactly sure about the URL rewriting that you were talking about.  I
know that the servlet container normal handles it if the client has cookies
turned off, or you can set Tomcat up to do that automajically.  Another
mechanism is a fairly simple tag that wraps the JSP and perform the URL
rewriting if necessary.   I think I'm must be missing the point with this
one, so perhaps you could explain the issues particular to openCMS?

I'll have to think about the caching some more.  If we implement the dynamic
part of this in tags, then the tags can load and access dynamic content from
the cache.  The entire page wouldn't be there, but the majority of what we
need would be.

Anyway, that's about as far as my thinking has gone so far.   Looking
forward to your (and anyone else's) feedback.

Cheers,
Pat