[opencms-dev] NoClassDefFoundError

russo at albany.edu russo at albany.edu
Wed May 1 01:29:17 CEST 2002

I'm including this discussion from outside the list (sorry, my fault):
  [Feel free to break out of the inline commenting]

> To: russo at albany.edu
> Subject: AW: AW: [opencms-dev] NoClassDefFoundError
>
> Hi,
> it should work. Try to set enviroment variables JAVA_HOME (to e.g.
> c:\jdk1.3.1_03).

I have had JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME set to their respective locations
all along:
  C:\Servers\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3\bin>echo %catalina_home%
  c:\Servers\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
  C:\Servers\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3\bin>echo %java_home%
  c:\JRE\1.3.1_03

> > The error "seems" to indicate a problem with Tomcat
> Are you able to run "examples" application from Tomcat?

Yes and No. You may have something here. I only ran the first example
"Number Guess" after installing and starting Tomcat. It worked. However,
I just tried "Color" and "Calendar" and both gave the errors I mentioned.

> Btw. examine opencms/logs/*.log

Hmmm, I have no logs in that location. I do have several in tomcat\logs
which contain the same errors. So, now I'm thinking I have a bad
Tomcat. ?  I have no clue. I just downloaded the binary distribution of
Tomcat again and did a binary file compare:
C:\My Download Files>fc /b jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3.zip 2_jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3.zip
Comparing files jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3.zip and 2_JAKARTA-TOMCAT-4.0.3.ZIP
FC: no differences encountered

My guess is the the distribution is bad or I'm stilling missing
something--files, settings, a clue?

-Ryan