AW: [opencms-dev] Spaces in filenames?

Valentin Richter Valentin.Richter at raytion.com
Sun Aug 11 18:09:20 CEST 2002

Actually, you can use spaces and other characters in an URL but you have to URL-encode them. This way you can use the whole ISO-8859-1 (ISO-Latin) character set for URLs. With this encoding a space has to be replaced with %20 so

   enterprise architecture introduction.pdf

becomes

   enterprise%20architecture%20introduction.pdf

For more details see

   http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm

To take care of encoding and decoding you have the Java classes

   java.net.URLEncoder
   java.net.URLDecoder

which provide appropriate methods.

In other words, when presenting files which have been uploaded to a user, OpenCMS simply has to take the original filename and and generate the corresponding URL for the href tag using URLEncoder. This is a quick and dirty solution. A clean solution to this would take care of differences between platforms (Windows and Macintosh don't distinguish between upper and lower case, Unix does et cetera), and give uploaded file a cleaned-up name which is suitable across platforms.

If someone needs to know more about what is allowed and what not on different platforms I can provide the necessary details.

Valentin Richter

Raytion GmbH
Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring 74
40547 Düsseldorf