[opencms-dev] Newbie Install Problem

Chris Smith csmith at mail.ewu.edu
Mon Oct 28 20:03:27 CET 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this, so forgive me if my questions are annoying.  I
couldn't find any info on this problem in the documentation or in a
search of the mailing list.

I'm running Redhat Linux 8.0 and I'm having problems getting Tomcat to
extract the opencms.war file.  I installed the J2SDK version 1.3.1_05
from Sun and added the following command to  /etc/profile:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_05

I then installed Tomcat 4.1.12 and brought it up.  It appears to run
fine and the examples all seem to work.  I modified
/var/tomcat4/conf/tomcat4.conf to include the following line:

CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=ISO8859_1

Not sure if it's supposed to go in that file, but I found that this is
where CATALINA_HOME is defined so took a gamble.

I then copied opencms.war to /var/tomcat4/webapps and restarted Tomcat.
Found that nothing happened so I checked the log file
/var/tomcat4/logs/localhost_log.2002-10-28.txt and found the following:

2002-10-28 10:31:03 HostConfig[localhost]: Expanding web application
archive opencms.war
2002-10-28 10:31:03 HostConfig[localhost] Exception while expanding web
application archive opencms.war
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/tomcat4/webapps/opencms/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (No such file or
directory)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:97)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:57)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.expand(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.expand(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(Unknown Source)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I tried upgrading J2sdk to 1.4.1 but
received the same log entry.
I apologize if I'm missing something very basic -- dumb newbie status.

- Chris