[opencms-dev] Using the news module with version 5.0

Rod Thorburn rod.thorburn at pavtech.co.nz
Wed Oct 30 19:50:00 CET 2002

Hi Joe,
If you plan to us JSP's then in my opinion you should use v.5.0 . The news
module does work with v.5.0, but when I set this up I executed the SQL
statements to update the database / create tables "manually" (i.e. don't
rely on the automated setup routine) - the scripts are in the news module
zip file - and then afterwards import the news module from the
Administration View of opencms.

I would add though (and again in my experience and for my purposes) that I
have since disposed of the news module. Whilst the concept is good it is
functionally inadequate from the perspective of the user e.g. a news item
can only appear in 1 channel / most of the time users had to create a "page"
and news item (two separate functions). As an alternative I use JSP template
of which I can provide details if you wish.

Rod