[opencms-dev] Installing with Oracle: Problems and Suggestion s

Volker Goetz goetz at sectionone.de
Mon Nov 11 21:06:10 CET 2002

Hi Stefan,

Am Montag, 11. November 2002 10:29 schrieb Stefan Marx:
> the intention of the install wizard is the providing
> a maximal userfriendly way for installation. Dividing
> that task and putting the database stuff aside (e.g.
> like '1st start sqlplus with the file "foo" as one op-
> tion and account name "bar" in a bash or cmd box...')
> would be counterproductive, isn't it?

I agree on this. But I also suggest to split up the setup process into some
separate substeps, wich can be omitted on request (using checkboxes in the
HTML formular):

- - create database (not necessary on oracle)
- - create user
- - create tables, indices, etc.

All this is done by the wizard. We should certainly not ask the user to
execute some SQL scripts with sqlplus.

On a restricted database environment, as usually used with oracle, the
database administrator can setup the database resp. oracle tablespace and
the database user with the correct settings and have the wizard create all
the necessary tables. This is more productive than tweaking around in the
SQL scripts of the extracted WAR file. Not to mention that there surely
will be some users who only want to deploy the software and who are no
experienced java users who even know where to start and where to search.

The default settings for oracle are okay for a development environment or
some home usage but usually not for production environments where the DBA
does the fine tuning of the database (separate tablesapces (i.e. database
file) for different user, and so on).

> But you pointed in right direction. Some one can provide
> a (PL/)SQL script to check the complettness of the ini-
> tial database setup by status of the ORA objects ;=).
> BTW: Sounds very nice that the 5 beta stuff is up & run-
> ning ;=).

Up and running may be too much :-) I managed to finish the setup, I
successfully imported the workspace module and eventually logged into the
administration area. As far as I remember, I was not able to create any
new files (I'll test this with the new beta2 resp. CVS) and report any
bugs or problems I found.

Volker Götz

section(one              Mail goetz at sectionone.de
Dipl.-Inform. Univ.      Web  http://www.sectionone.de/
Volker Götz              Tel. 0931/61 94 94-0
Unterer Weg 26           Fax  0931/61 94 94-15
97084 Würzburg           PGP  4FEB1C34 @ wwwkeys.de.pgp.net