[opencms-dev] charset problems

Nico Krause Nico.Krause at nsc.eu.com
Thu Nov 21 14:05:31 CET 2002

Try java 1.4

Also there the server installation step by step instructions saying...

2 Installing Tomcat
Install Jakarta Tomcat http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html into a
folder of your choice. This is the CATALINA_HOME folder. Don't forget to set
the environment variables CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME.

Test the installation by running tomcat in standalone mode and check the
examples. Note: Tomcat uses port 8080 in standalone mode.

If you wish you can combine the servlet-engine with a webserver like the
Apache Web Server http://www.apache.org/httpd.html.

To make sure Tomcat works with the correct charset to read and write files
you should add the following parameter to the commandline that is used to
start Tomcat:

-Dfile.encoding=ISO8859_1
You can set the environment varibale CATALINA_OPTS to do so.
(CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=ISO8859_1)

I'm using also 5.0 Beta 2

Try it!

Best Regards,

Nico