AW: [opencms-dev] charset problems

Michael Emmerich Michael.Emmerich at framfab.de
Thu Nov 21 17:36:07 CET 2002

Thomas,

>Thank you. This works for me on my Windows Box using JDK 1.4.1.
>
>Still have to upgrade the Linux box on 1.4.1; using 1.4.0 doesn't work
>with my Tomcat-Version, because I'm getting Segmentation Faults.
>Will try the new config this week.
>
>If somebody has the muse to explain, why setting
>isn't sufficient for IE 5 when chosing in IE 5-settings encoding=utf-8
>or encoding=iso-8859-1, I would be thankful. Because I think the browser
>takes the encoding given in the meta-tag? And still don't understand why
>it works without setting CATALINA_OPTS in IE 6.

I can't say why the IE6 behaves different ot the IE5, but maybe this is a
hint to the right direction.

Besides setting the encogin in the <meta> tag, OpenCms also sets the
encoding in the HTTP response. I think that different browsers might react
differnetly when getting the encoding type within the resonse stream. I
could imagine that the encodin set in the response might override the
definition in the HTML document.

Regards,
Michael Emmerich

OpenCms Professional Services