[opencms-dev] How to use v. 5 beta

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Mon Nov 25 14:08:26 CET 2002

Hi.  New user here.  I've pored over the user guide and downloaded the
latest beta.  While things appear to be installed and working well, I can't
figure out how to use the templates.  See below the things that I'm missing,
and please help me if you can.

The user guide refers to some directories called /content/frametemplates,
/content/templates, and /content/contenttemplates.  These don't exist in the
beta installation.  I did find 3 directories in /system/modules/default, and
it looks like these are the right ones, because when I follow the demo
instructions in the user guide, I now see "template1" is an option when I
create a new page.

When I actually use "template1," however, I do not get "Hello World" in the
content of my new page, even though I've correctly linked up the
contenttemplate1 page.  I get <[CDATA[]]> in the body of my content.

Some other confusing items:  There is an empty.xml template in the
contenttemplates directory, but creating a contenttemplate1.xml template has
no effect on the previous problem.  These types of templates are not
mentioned in the user guide at all.

Can any one fill in the gaps for me.  A high level explanation will probably
do the trick.

jpt

James Tillman
Advanced Systems Design