[opencms-dev] Bitflux xml editor

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Thu Dec 5 21:23:48 CET 2002

> James,
> There are two browser based editors supported by OpenCMS - each with a
> different use:
> That editor which you describe as annoying  is the shareware
> (non-free)
> source editor I was  talking about. The WYSIWYG editor for
> html that is used
> by OpenCMS is in fact a freebie from microsoft, and is not
> annoying in the
> least.
>
> A number of people have asked for a better 'source' editor
> (mainly to do the
> XML editing) that is free and it looks like bitflux is a good
> contender.

Ah, I see what you were trying to say now.  And checking the running
installation I have does verify that it is indeed the "source code view"
where the annoying popups appear.  I stand corrected!

Bitflux might have facilities for source editing (I didn't check) even
though the default was to edit in WYSIWYG style.  Since Bitflux only works
in Mozilla/Netscape, OpenCMS will still need an IE-based solution to replace
the activeX control at some point.

After all this bluster, I must admit that bitflux may not be the best choice
since the group working on it is closing the source.  Unless the OpenCMS
team is willing to take on the upkeep of the open source code, that is.

jpt