[opencms-dev] Do you want to use directory translation?

Thomas Maerz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Fri Dec 6 12:49:07 CET 2002

Hello Alex,

>> I hope these charset problems don't get annoying to you.
>
> they certainly are, but they must be fixed, so I very much appreciate
> your input.

I will give you even more by time. I just say IE 5.

>> Testing scenarios:
>> ------------------
>>
>> CATALINA_OPTS           | directory translation    | result
>>   unset                 |   yes                    |   working
>>   unset                 |   no                     |   not working
>>                         |                          |
>>   -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 |   yes                    |   working
>>   -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 |   yes                    |   not working

     -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 |   no                     |   not working
                               --

I also tried once -Dfile.encoding=iso-8859-1 (yes, don't use!), the
results were the analogous if i recall correctly, but I didn't check again.

Where does the error appear?
When importing the workspace or when reading from database?

>> The results that didn't work displayed no folders and files
>> in the explorer-windows, but I got a JavaScript error message.
>
> We already have located an issue in the JavaScript and have fixed that,
> so that problem might be gone in the next release.

Can you tell me? Or will it be in the release notes? I am just
curious. Was this also the reason why some had problems editing a site,
because the content wasn't encoded correctly in the JavaScript-functions
responsible for displaying and so the pages couldn't be saved, because
there was this JavaScript-Error? I have this errors using IE 5.

What charset is used for saving content entered in the editor-windows
(wysiwyg and/or source-code)?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> -> iso-8859-1
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>      -> utf-8

If you have some time I would appreciate any answers to understand
something more.

Regards,
Thomas