[opencms-dev] General Questions (i.e. SOAP, Performance)

Nico Krause Nico.Krause at nsc.eu.com
Wed Jan 15 19:05:45 CET 2003

Hi,

>somebody can answer one or more of these questions.
Only some ...

>1. Is there support for SOAP in OpenCMS, i.e. can I have a SOAP interface
>communicate with external content providers. How does this look like. I am
>looking for information/documentation or running examples for this.
Not included in OpenCMS - but you can implement - by using the standard SOAP
API of Apache - I thought....

>2. Did somebody had a look to OpenCMS performance. I am sure limitations
>are rather made by Tomcat since it is running in Tomcat. Anyway did
>somebody made performance tests with opencms and its related components
>like MySQL and Tomcat. Does somebody know about test which compare other
>CMS's with OpenCMS withing this issue.
Not really - but.
As more you do dynamic (auto navigation, lot´s of security  and per user
generated websites, deep template structure) as more it slows down on normal
PC-Servers with less good hardware. Usually, for big projects you need
always big machines. So see hardware requirements ot http://www.opencms.org.

I have a Linux System with Single CPU - 500Mhz, 500Mb RAM and not many
concurrent users (1-5). But lots of dynamic logic behind. It´s still ok. But
I told my boss to buy a big sun if we wana go forward letting our customers
on the machine...

If you use only or at most static content - which you can also do with
OpenCMS via static export function (!!!) you don't have this limitations at
all.

>3. Like before, does somebody did or know about reliablity tests of OpenCMS
>(also maybe between different CMS's) ?
 - no idea -

>4. Who knows about examples, where OpenCMS got used to solve real life
>problems. For example companies using OpenCMS or Information Providers
>using it as
>a publishing system for their webpage.
I use it for some private projects, my company uses it for our intranet and
internet. I trust very much in this system and I like it really. This is
just my own private view! (tho - I think some other people too.)

So I decided to use OpenCMS, because I did everything in JAVA, MySQL and
Oracle in the past. I don't like the PHP stuff - never did that. So if you
like JAVA, Tomcat, Apache and Open Source - you have really no other chance.
It´s in my opinion the best you can have currently - on the other hand I
know only 3 other old fashioned TCL-stuff and what the hell systems;(

So I would suggest trying it by yourself. If you are programmer you will be
very much surprised and glad later you have chosen it.

Have a nice week,

Nico