[opencms-dev] grey flag "belongs to project" confuses me...

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Sun Jan 26 22:32:20 CET 2003

Nico,

> sometimes - when I work with different logins... beetween testings...
> and debugging (changing beetween different users and
> projects) it occures a grey flag in the explorer with an
> alternativ text "belongs
> to project"

question: is no project name given (does is say "belongs to project"
only or "belongs to project XYZ" )? If states no project name this might
be a bug. Please report how to recreate this. It might involve starting
a "direct publish". It might also involve temporary files starting with
"~", but this should have been fixed in 5rc1.

What version of OpenCms do you use?

About the flags in general:

The flags are basically usefull and intended for OpenCms setups with
many projects and groups and permissions. In smaller projects, where you
most often have only one "Offline" project, these should not appear.

In general, a file can only be changed in one project. If 2 different
projects (A and B) can access the same file, the person who did the last
modification on the file has the red flag, indicating that this file now
belongs to his project. Let's say this in in project A. In the other
project B, you now have a grey flag. Note that the file exists only once
and is therefore marked as "changed" in both projects. However, if
project B is published, the file is NOT published along since it is
currently not in B but in A. If A is published the file goes online and
the flag disappears.

So the flag are really for the publishing: A file is published if it
a) is in the "view" of a project, as defined when creating the project
b) has been changed (or deleted) and
c) has the flag set to this project and not to a different project

If you lock / unlock a flagged file (or steal the lock) you can shift
the file to your proejct, i.e. the flag become red for you and grey for
all other projects.

But as said in the beginning, this might be a bug. If so, please report
how it can be recreated.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior