[opencms-dev] upgrade 4.x to 5.0 (was: mail opencms)

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Fri Feb 7 16:46:42 CET 2003

Chris,

in case directory translation does not work four your site (it does in
most cases) the "old way" is probably the safest.

* DB-Export from OpenCms in a *.zip
  Make sure you also have added the /content/bodys folder of 4.6.
* After the export is finished, unzip the export zipfile.
* You will have the exported files and folder structure on
  your disk now.
* Now do a global search / replace in this files, replacing
  the old paths with the new ones - for more details on what
  paths have changed look into the "opencms.properties"
  where the directoy translation rules are defined.
* You can but need not change the entries in the "manifest.xml"
  as the directory translation will do this atutomatically when the
files
  are imported again.
* After you have done a search / replace on your files, you zip
  them again in the same strucutre as bevor and import them.

Some more tips for rather specialized issues:

* OpenCms 4.x did not correctly specify the encoding of XML files.
  The 5.0 import will try to correct that automatically.
  This applies to XML files that start only with
  <?xml version="1.0"> instead of e.g.
  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> (or "UTF-8" or something).
  If your templates do not specify the encoding and the import
  does not correct that problem for you, you must add this manually.
  Probably best way to do it is with external search & replace as
  described above. Insert "ISO-8859-1" or whatever encoding OpenCms
  5.0 will be installed with for the best performance of templates.
* If you have created modules with the OpenCms module mechanism,
  these need to be exported - imported with the module mechanism,
  not with the DB export / import as certain configurations from
  registry.xml are exported with the module mechanism only.
* Also, if you have created modules with the "old" mechaninsm
  (ie. not of type "simple module") these might require special
  consideration when it comes to the former "language" now
  "locale" directory.
* If you have created your own Java classes for OpenCms, these
  need to be re-compiled against the 5.0 API. No changes should be
  required, only re-compilation.
* Also, if you have written classes for OpenCms these need now be
  located in the standard /classes or /lib folders of the web
application,
  not longer in the /occlasses or /oclib folder.

Overall, the directory translation and XML replacement
should do the trick for most upgrades automatically.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts