[opencms-dev] encoding problems in navigation

Björn Mehner bjoern.mehner at fh-heilbronn.de
Thu Feb 20 16:11:31 CET 2003

Hi, all,

I get a little strange behavior. I am using german charcters (umlauts)
like ö, ü, ä and in the floating text it seems to work all right. I also
use the getEncoding method to set the correct encoding in the
meta-section of the page. So everything works fine.

But if I use these characters in the Text of the navigation they are
messed up. I get a "?" instead of the right character. It is not a wrong
encoding of the Browser because the "?" is already in the html-source.
Changing the encoding of the content in OpenCMS to various encodings
(iso-8859-1, utf-8, iso-8859-15,...) did not change anythig.
So I think opencms gets confused with what is in the table in the mysql
database where the navtexts are stored and replaces it with the question
mark. The content in the database seems to be encoded in some sort
unicode. My guess is utf-8.

Here an example of the content of the table cms_properties:

1792 8 2037 Bj%C3%B6rn+Mehner

What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions? Where can I look for
information on that issue (I found nothing in the docs)? Is this in any
kind related with the encoding of the xml-templates?

Thanks in advance

Björn Mehner