[opencms-dev] Encoding for URL strings ?

Felix Engel flixflax at gmx.net
Mon Mar 3 20:17:53 CET 2003

Hello,

I tried to integrate a search engine into my website (OpenCMS Version
5.0_rc2), using the modules

		com.opencms.modules.search.form
		com.opencms.modules.search.htdig.

Calls to the demo search result form supplied with the searchform
module were sometimes serviced just fine, while at other times an
uncatched exception was thrown because of a missing function

		escapeWBlanks(string content)

in function setQuery([...]).

It seems that escapeWBlanks(string content) was still present in older OpenCMS
releases <5.0beta2 and has been replaced by

		escapeWBlanks(string content, string encoding)

To make the module work I hardcoded the encoding as iso-8859-1,
however I would prefer a clean solution. But I don't know where to get
the proper value.
So my question is, wether there is a preferred URL-Encoding or whether
any of the OpenCMS classes offers a function returning the appropriate
encoding.

Thanks for any help,

sincerely Felix Engel