[opencms-dev] Problems integrating second Database

Björn Mehner bjoern.mehner at fh-heilbronn.de
Fri Mar 14 11:45:30 CET 2003

Hi, all,

I have to integrate data from an oracle database into my mysql-based
opencms. We have got a lot of data there that is also managed by another
application. So I luckily do not need to import this data in mysql and
write my own backoffice module.

I thought I create elements that fetch the necessary data via JDBC. This
is a webbased application so one should of course use some kind of
connection pooling for this. So I set up a connection pool in Tomcat and
wrote a TemplateClass that fetches a connection via JNDI. I am not
familiar with the connection pooling mechanism in opencms so I decided
to use the one I already know. But now when I try to fetch that
connection it hangs. No exception, no null, just sits there and waits
for the connection forever.

I thought my Setup maybe was wrong and wrote a quick and dirty single
selfmade connection hack. This was fine. Worked as expected.

Therefor my questions are several:

1. Can I use JNDI from within opencms?
2. What pitfalls are there? Anything I might overlook?
3. What is in general the best way for integrating other databases into
opencms?
4. Are there reasons not to do it at all?

My source is appended.
Thanks in advance.

bye Bodo