[opencms-dev] LGPL

Robert Jean robertjean2 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 05:24:30 CET 2003

Hello,

OpemCms is distributed under the LGPL license. I would
be grateful to anyone who could explain me which part
is considered as being part of the library, and which
parts is not. In particular, I would like to know if
these files are part of the library:

*.java files
*.jsp files
*.html files
*.xml files
*.gif files

The situation might be more complex than what I have
depicted here. Please detail.

This question is triggered by a down-to-earth
consideration. In case I want for instance to modify
the look and feel of OpenCms, or add/remove/modify
some of its features, what can I protect with my own
license and what do I have to release with the source
code? In most cases, I would be happy to release the
source code, knowing that it could help people who
made this great source code base available in the
first place. In a few instances, it would be
problematic, intellectual property linked to sensitive
issues being a concern to my organization.

Thank you,
Robert