[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 5 : Installation problems

Garvin.LeClaire at Anthem.com Garvin.LeClaire at Anthem.com
Thu May 8 18:04:01 CEST 2003

You need to set the service up to install the appropriate encoding.  We use
3 scripts that help in setting up the services.   we run them in the bin
directory of the TomCat installation.  Take note of the jvm_option
environment variable as this is where we handle the encoding setup.

1. The first is a general environment script called setenv.cmd

set TOMCAT_HOME=E:\Apache\Tomcat4.1
set service_name=Apache Tomcat 4.1
set jvm_library=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
set jvm_option=-Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar
-Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%TOMCAT_HOME%\common\endorsed
-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1
SET start_class=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
SET start_method=main
SET start_parameter=start
SET stop_method=main
SET stop_parameter=stop
SET out_log_file=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stdout.log
SET err_log_file=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

2. The second  is a general script to uninstall the service called
uninstallservice.cmd

@call setenv.cmd

tomcat -uninstall "%service_name%"

3. The third is a general script to install the service called
installservice.cmd

@call setenv.cmd

tomcat -install "%service_name%" %jvm_library% %jvm_option% -start
%start_class% -method %start_method% -params %start_parameter% -stop
%start_class% -method %stop_method% -params %stop_parameter% -out
%out_log_file% -err %err_log_file%

Regards,

Garvin LeClaire
Anthem Inc.
Senior Technical Architect
Technology Architecture and Infrastructure
Tel: 513-336-3305

                      "Derek Hohls"
                      <DHohls at csir.co.za        To:       <opencms-dev at opencms.org>
                      >                         cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [opencms-dev] OpenCMS 5 : Installation problems
                      opencms-dev-admin@
                      opencms.org

                      05/08/2003 05:22
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      opencms-dev

Hi

I am running Win XP/JDK 2/Tomcat 4 - I start
Tomcat as a service, using the Control Panel
for services.

I am struggling to get the language encoding
set up properly... in the install guide it says:

 "Please refer to the Tomcat documentation on how
  to set the environment variable"

but I cannot find reference on how to do this in
the Tomcat docs - if someone can give me a hint
or point me to the most useful explanation, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks
Derek

believed to be clean.