[opencms-dev] Static Export/Publish to WebServer Using FTP

Kim Altintop kim at deepfx.com
Thu May 22 11:38:02 CEST 2003

Hi Thomas,

Thomas März wrote:
> I only wrote two replication classes, one for local copying of the
> changed files and one for FTP.

I think this is a nice solution that will most probably fit most
situations. However, I'm trying to figure out if it'd be appropriate for
websites with large parts being dynamic. AFAIK, JSPs can be exported
from OpenCMS "as is", so it wouldn't be a problem to set up a webserver
_without_ OpenCMS that reads its resources from the filesystem. But what
if I want to make use of OpenCMS facilities such as the flex cache, user
authentication or "https restriction"? I'd need to have OpenCMS
installed on the public machine (no "backoffice" login allowed) and have
it to import the changed files back into the VFS. Maybe this could be
done using the synchronization feature but I wouldn't consider this as
an elegant solution. So, what I had in mind was something like this:

         "Master" host                  "Slave" host

OpenCMS --> Publisher ---------------> Receiver --> OpenCMS --> VFS
                                        (Servlet)

(Btw: Alexander, what's /your/ opinion here?)

> By the way, I would rather try to use WebDAV than SOAP to copy files to
> different locations.

Yes, WebDAV would certainly be more effective. I guess I was thinking of
SOAP because one could very easily implement pretty fine-grained
exception handling.

So what do you think? Am I breaking a fly on the wheel?

Best Regards,
Kim