[opencms-dev] Installation encoding error

grenoml grenoml at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 02:26:01 CEST 2003

Hello,
  I am attempting to install OpenCMS on RH9 but running into some
encoding problems.  I am receiving the following error:
-----------------
Error: the encoding of your Java VM is different from the OpenCms
encoding!

   Java VM file encoding: UTF-8

   OpenCms encoding: ISO-8859-1
-----------------

  I have about twenty other Tomcat webapps running well using the UTF-8
encoding for the Java VM and I would like not to change that.  How can
I get the install to work?  I went into opencms.properties and changed
the default encoding to UTF-8 and restarted Tomcat but I then get
database errors:
-----------------

Creating database ... Failed

Could no connect to database via: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/
java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access
denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

java.lang.NullPointerException

Creating tables ... Failed

Could no connect to database via: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/opencms
java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access
denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

java.lang.NullPointerException

... {many times}

java.lang.NullPointerException

  I am using the mysql database user/password for root and not system
user/password for root.

  My question is how to get the installation working without changing
the default encoding for the VM?

thx,
Gerry Reno