AW: AW: [opencms-dev] Installation encoding error

grenoml grenoml at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 23:32:01 CEST 2003

Jakob,
  Ok, let me see if I have everything you requested:

  OS: RH 8.0

  MySQL: 4.1.0a

  JDBC driver:
  mysql-connector-java-2_0_14-bin.jar is located in
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/lib

  Here is everything on Setup wizard page:
---------------
  OpenCms Setup Wizard
Select Database             MySQL

                            User          Password
Database Server Connection  opencmsuser   secret
OpenCms Connection          opencmsuser   secret
Connection String           jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/
Database                    opencms

{checked} Create database and tables
          Warning: Existing database will be dropped !
---------------

recycled mysql
recycled tomcat

# mysql --user opencmsuser -p opencms
Enter password: ******
Your MySQL connection id is 6 to server version: 4.1.0-alpha-max-log

mysql> show tables;
Empty set (0.01 sec)

mysql> quit;
Bye

So I can access the database from the command line.
Now, when I go through the opencms installation:

Could no connect to database via: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/
java.sql.SQLException: Communication failure during handshake. Is there
a server running on localhost:3306?

This one is a real mystery.  I would attribute it to using 4.1.0a but
everything else I have done with other apps with 4.1.0a has not had any
problems at all with connections or accessing the test database.

thx,
Gerry Reno