[opencms-dev] What's the idea of publishing?

David Seikel david.seikel at icemedia.com.au
Fri Jun 6 12:00:02 CEST 2003

Carsten Kaemmerer wrote:
> while doing the first example of editing files and publishing them I
> don't see any difference between published and unpublished files.
>
> I understand that pages like
> http://localhost:opencms/opencms/release/installation.html are the
> served 'online' website, but when I create a new project and edit that
> file (installation.html), this changes will immediately be served on
> that 'online' website.  I thought, it should be served on the online
> site only after publishing?!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you look at the site
from external to your computer, you will see a difference.

Putting it another way, accessing it via http://localhost will bypass
the published version and show you the unpublished version.  From some
other computer http://cms.gaertner.de (or whatever your computer is
called) will see the published version.

This may have been a hack to make development quicker.