[opencms-dev] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError redux

Thomas März thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Mon Jun 23 09:06:01 CEST 2003

kylekc <kylekc at comcast.net> writes:
> I found a recent thread about java.lang.OutOfMemoryError when publishing
> large files. I just got one of these errors trying to save a large file in
> the HTML editor, in my ISP-hosted OpenCMS instance. I had no problems with
> the same file on my home PC OpenCMS instance.

> Question 1: If the MySQL "large packet" setting will take care of this
> problem, what is a good setting (I'll need to provide this to the ISP, who
> maintains control of the MySQL configuration)?

I do not think this is a MySQL problem, because if it were you'd get a
SQLException. A good setting is to be able to upload all your files.

> Question 2: My current ISP fixes my heap size at 32MB. Can OpenCMS
> reasonably run in a JVM with this heap size, for large file publishing
> and/or other normal OpenCMS activities, or is this asking for trouble/do I
> need to look for, say, dedicate hosting that will give me a nice big heap
> size?

I don't know if 32MB are enough, the default value is 64MB IIRC. But you
should be able to find the error easily by using the same setting as
your ISP does; lower the heap. Dedicated hosting is always a good thing.

Best Regards,
Thomas März