[opencms-dev] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError redux

kylekc kylekc at comcast.net
Mon Jun 23 06:57:02 CEST 2003

I found a recent thread about java.lang.OutOfMemoryError when publishing
large files. I just got one of these errors trying to save a large file in
the HTML editor, in my ISP-hosted OpenCMS instance. I had no problems with
the same file on my home PC OpenCMS instance.

The two solutions posed on the thread are:

> I had the same problem. I run OpenCms with MySql.
> So I configure my mysql server to accept large packet by changing =
> packet size in the my.cnf file.

and

> I have heard from a earlier questions that this might be a Java =
> problem which can be solved by increasing the heap with the
> command parameter -Xmx256MB.

Question 1: If the MySQL "large packet" setting will take care of this
problem, what is a good setting (I'll need to provide this to the ISP, who
maintains control of the MySQL configuration)?

Question 2: My current ISP fixes my heap size at 32MB. Can OpenCMS
reasonably run in a JVM with this heap size, for large file publishing
and/or other normal OpenCMS activities, or is this asking for trouble/do I
need to look for, say, dedicate hosting that will give me a nice big heap
size?

Thanks,
Kyle Clarke
kylekc at comcast.net

PS Partial exception:

com.opencms.core.CmsException: 0 Unknown exception. Detailed error: User
method templateElement throwed an exception. java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
 at
com.opencms.template.A_CmsXmlContent.throwException(A_CmsXmlContent.java:194
3)
 at
com.opencms.template.A_CmsXmlContent.callUserMethod(A_CmsXmlContent.java:233
)
 at
com.opencms.template.CmsXmlTemplateFile.handleElementTag(CmsXmlTemplateFile.
java:797)
 at
)
 at
.java:25)
 at
com.opencms.template.A_CmsXmlContent.processNode(A_CmsXmlContent.java:1515)
 at
com.opencms.template.A_CmsXmlContent.getProcessedData(A_CmsXmlContent.java:5
10)
 at
com.opencms.template.CmsXmlTemplateFile.generateElementCacheVariant(CmsXmlTe
mplateFile.java:588)
 at
com.opencms.template.CmsXmlTemplate.startProcessing(CmsXmlTemplate.java:1288
)
 at
com.opencms.workplace.CmsWorkplaceDefault.startProcessing(CmsWorkplaceDefaul
t.java:550)
 at
com.opencms.workplace.CmsXmlTemplateEditor.getContent(CmsXmlTemplateEditor.j
ava:731)