[opencms-dev] [Newbie]default jsp encoding, resource preview, news module and other question.

chengbiao zhou chbiao_zhou at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 13:32:01 CEST 2003

Hi there,

I'm just another newbie to opencms, but feel very nice
at the first glance. Now there're some question asking
for your help, any comments will be appreciated:

1)default encoding of jsp/jsptemplate
follow the alex's advice, I've changed opencms
default encoding to UTF-8, as well as the
file.encoding opts of tomcat, hence I can use chinese
charset succefully so. but there's still a tedious
behavior in jsp, everytime I new a jsp page, its'
default encoding is always set to iso-8859-1, so i
have to manually modify it to UTF-8 before editting
this page, otherwise all chiese chars will be
converted as "??" after saving, my first question is
whether and how to change the default encoding of jsp
to UTF-8.

2) properties file.
openCms use properties file to localize, but I don't
yet find where is the properties file:) could anybody
give a hint where it is, given the default module of
org.opencms.website-demo?

3) resource preview/editing
opencms obviously uses resources stored in
resource-folder in jsp/jsptemplate, like gif/jpg
picture. I want to know how to preview/edit such
picture resource? groundline, can we exported it out,
use 3rd picture editor to edit it, then imported it
back again?

4) folder sture under (root folder).
I find there're very clear folder structure after
install and publish interactive document
module(alkacon), but there're no significant changes
after publish news module and help module, what's the
mystery on it(folder structre), and how can i start to
demo/use news module

5) best practice to manage user in frontend apps.
the final question. what's the recommendation/best
practice to manage user if we use openCms to manage
frontend apps?

Thanks a lot in advance!

chengbiao zhou