[opencms-dev] Improve OpenCMS performance?

Tim Howland thowland at organic.com
Wed Jun 25 16:30:02 CEST 2003

We were able to handle sustained 10Mbs worth of traffic with 5.0rc2  by
doing the following:

1) quality load balancer (F5 Big / IP) set to sticky IP session
persistence
2) 3 web servers running apache 2.0. We used mod_jk in sticky-mode to
talk to the tomcat servers in a failover configuration. We tuned apache
with 50 servers at startup, which seemed to do the trick. I believe we
also upped the mod_jk connection pool pretty high for each server.
3) 2 tomcat servers - configured with tons of ram. We used -Mmx to get a
half gig of ram for each tomcat instance.
4) 1 dedicated mysql box, tuned as much as we could.

to make sure we had the maximum speed, we used wget, rsync, and
mod_rewrite to transparently cache a number of files statically. This
was the single most important optimization. You could probably do the
same with mod_proxy, but we wanted to be extremely fine-grained with the
pages we cached. Second was probably the mysql tuning. Basically, we fed
it a half gig of ram, and tried to get it to keep everything cached- it
would have been nice to use some of the more advanced load tuning
options in mysql 4.0, so I'm looking forward to getting that one going
in the near future.

We did have trouble with jsp files caching on one of the tomcat servers
or the other when making changes- publish didn't seem to work exactly as
desired. We found we could edit using the wysiwig tool with out any
issues, but had to stop the other server when publishing. I'm sure
better tuning of the flex cache parameters would have made sense there-
but we were under the gun and had no time to tweak it.

In your situation, I'd try to aggressively cache as much static
graphical information as possible at the apache layer- that's likely to
bear fruit much more quickly than throwing more servers at it. I'd also
make sure you configured tomcat to use as much ram as you had available
with the -Mmx flag in catalina_opts.

HTH,

Tim