[opencms-dev] Create Editable HTML with JSP elements?

David Seikel david.seikel at icemedia.com.au
Tue Jul 8 08:56:01 CEST 2003

Steve wrote:
 > From: "David Seikel" <david.seikel at icemedia.com.au>
 > > It's not supposed to be possible to do it that way around.  Just
 > > rearrange things so that the editable HTML is in the body, but ALL
 > > else is in templates, to be wrapped around the body in the usual
 > > manner.
 >
> Thanks for replying, David. But doesn't that mean that we are probably going
> to create a lot of jsp templates? each for single editable html page? I
> originally thought that jsptemplates/ folder were acting much like
> frametemplates/ folder where we possibly have only very few template stored
> there.

I don't use JSP so I can't comment on that.  I also don't know how your
web site is organised.  I may or may not agree with the way editable
HTML was implemented in OpenCMS B-).  However, I can see a point to
doing this.

The editable part is a fixed blob of HTML that can be edited, but is
otherwise exactly the same for the single page it is part of.  All the
rest is built on the fly from JSP / XML templates.  The WYSIWYG editor
only deals with the fixed part, if it had to deal with embedded
templates and the like, it would no longer be WYSIWYG.

When I discovered this limitation, I took a step back and re-examined
why I was trying to embed templates into fixed content.  I ended up
making a slight change to the design and removed the need.

See if you can do what you want to do some other way that doesn't need
to embed templates into the content, but imbeds the content into the
template.  Otherwise, complian to the OpenCMS authors.