[opencms-dev] OpenCMS and SQL server 2000 problem

Eoin McCarthy emccarthy at sermatech.com
Fri Jul 11 19:14:02 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to get OpenCMS connected to MS SQL server 2000.

I've followed the procedures outline in the posts:

http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2003q2/004446.html (this
specifies mssql driver as 3Dcom.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver)

and

http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2003q2/004448.html (specifies
driver as com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver). This corresponds to
the path name displayed when the jar file is opened with WinZip.

However, when running the setup wizard, I keep getting the
errors................

Creating database.. Failed
Error while loading driver: [com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver,
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver]
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
[com/microsoft/jdbc/sqlserver/SQLServerDriver,
com/microsoft/jdbc/sqlserver/SQLServerDriver]
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException... etc

Creating tables... Failed
Error while loading driver: [com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver,
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver]
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
[com/microsoft/jdbc/sqlserver/SQLServerDriver,
com/microsoft/jdbc/sqlserver/SQLServerDriver]
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException... etc

I've tried a couple of different ways to get OpenCMS to find the driver
1. Placed the mssql driver jar files in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/ directory.
2. Altered the environment variable CLASSPATH to include the paths to the
mssql jar files.

Neither worked.

I also tried using the JTurbo driver with the settings
pool.mssql.driver=com.newatlanta.jturbo.driver.Driver
pool.mssql.url=jdbc:JTurbo://sqlserverhost:1433

Again, I get the same kind of error.

I then set up a connection to a mySQL database - that worked fine.
And finally, just to reassure myself I moved the mySQL driver out of the
openCMS/web-inf/lib directory and tried to set
up a connection to mySQL. I got the ClassNotFoundException error reported
but the output was slightly different. Only a single instance of the driver
name instead of 3.

Error while loading driver: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

java.lang.NullPointerException

Error while loading driver: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

etc.

Bit of a lengthy post but I'm stuck as to why OpenCMS cannot find the sql
server 2000 drivers.

Thanks,
Eoin

Eoin McCarthy
Software Engineer
Sermatech Intelligent Applications
1 Michaelson Square
Livingston
EH54 7DP

Telephone: +44 (0)1506 472287
Fax: +44 1506 472282
e-mail: emccarthy at sermatech.com

This document is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
specified by Sermatech Intelligent Applications, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If the reader of this document is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering the document to the intended
copying of this document is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
document in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose
the information in any way and notify the sender immediately. The contents
of this message may contain personal views, not the views of Sermatech
Intelligent Applications, unless specifically stated.