[opencms-dev] Problem for (re)starting OpenCms

Brendon Price Brendon.Price at sytec.co.nz
Sun Jul 13 02:44:02 CEST 2003

Hi all,

We had also encountered this problem previously and had spent several days
trying to resolve the issue. In the end we added extensive debug code to the
connection pool code of opencms. It appeared that the code hangs on the
re-establishment of the connections in the connection pool. This is the
point at which it times out the connections and re-estabilshes them. We
could get the product to break every 2 minutes by reducing the timeout of
connections down to 2 minutes.

In the end it was it appeared that the code fails within the JDBC connection
creation. In the end we found an article that suggested we increase the
number of file handles available to the Oracle 9i process (our DB). Once we
did this our problem disappeared, however I think there is something else at
work here that means we may have just hidden the symptoms of the real
problem.

We made a changes to the
/etc/sysctl.conf
file and increased the number of file handles by adding the line

fs.file-max=32768

After a restart of the whole machine, the problem did not occur again, even
with our previous test case (that failed every 2 minutes).

I hope this helps.

Regards
Brendon