[opencms-dev] Content Syndication in OpenCMS

Nicolas Delsaux nicolas.delsaux at online.fr
Wed Jul 16 09:49:02 CEST 2003

On 15 Jul 2003 11:23:17 -0600, M Butcher <mbutcher at grcomputing.net> wrote:

> Tell me more about how you think it ought to work.

Isn't it a little ambitious ?
Well, here are my ideas on such a module.
In fact, as far as I understand the OpenCMS architecture, the news part can
be considered as the perfect holder for RSS syndication. In such a case, a
RSS feed, coming from outside, should be considered in the news part like a
folder, in which incoming data can not be modified, since filtering the
received news is not, to my mind, interesting in such a process.

> Should there be a way
> to select which articles will be included in the RSS?

No. All the articles coming from a site have to be displayed. I think the
onl usable basis is the categories that may exist in RSS feeds.

> What I had figured
> (based on the way I set things up) is that the articles that would be
> syndicated would also all exist in the same directory -- in which case,
> it is pretty easy to just assume that the top, say, 10 files in a
> directory are the ones that should be included in the RSS.
>
> But it sounds like your experience is different. How would you want to
> choose which headlines would be included in the RSS?

I do not choose. take a look at http://www.open-
j2ee.org/opencms/opencms/fr/news.jsp
All the news coming from java.sun.com and java-channel are displayed, since
filtering them is quite a work, and is not that interesting for the user
(since RSS feed are used to agregate various information sources).

--
Nicolas Delsaux
N > Sur Internet, personne ne sait que vous ĂȘtes ... un singe