[opencms-dev] bread crumbs

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Thu Jul 17 23:37:01 CEST 2003

That depends on how you do the breadcrumbs.

Say your getting a file with this VFS path:

/news/entertainment/dining/restaurant_reviews.html

Now, if the breadcrumb trail should mirror the filesystem path (which is
the easiest method of organization, IMHO), then all you need to do is
get info about each of the parent directories, and produce something
like this:

[home] > News > Entertainment > Dining > Restaurant Reviews

So, you'll want to write a recursive method that will, given the current
file name, grab the title and URL of the parent.

A shortcut way might be to get substrings of the VFS path of the
requested resource until you get to the document root, and then get the
"title" parameter of each URL, which will give you something pretty to
display.

Does that make sense?

If you want to do bread-crumb tracking that does NOT mirror the
structure of the site... then you'll have to figure out a way to store
whatever map of the site you intend to apply, and use that (making sure
that it gets updated as the site changes).

Matt

M Butcher <mbutcher at grcomputing.net>