[opencms-dev] Open CMS vs. MMBase

Hans Speijer hans.speijer at mediacatalyst.com
Mon Jul 21 13:09:01 CEST 2003

Hi all,

   I've had the pleasure of evaluating OpenCMS for our company website this
weekend. The administration and templating engine are just great and the
overall proffesionalism and feel of the product are on par with commercial
closed source products. The weak point in the system is the lack of a
generic content handling system. The dependance on a single HTML body for
the content is simply to limited for serious content management. Having to
develop beans, forms and backoffice modules to allow for non technical
content editors is simply too much work.

We ended up with choosing MMBase for our website because of it's good
content handling and flexible content type system and editing interface. I
am sorry we had to make this choice because the strong points of OpenCMS are
really good.

The bad side of MMBase is that it completely lacks a template management
mechanism and workflow. It just depends on JSP combined with the MMBase
taglib.

I think it would really offer the best of both worlds to combine the MMBase
content engine with the OpenCMS template engine. If the MMBase editors could
be combined with the OpenCMS management interface you would get an extremely
powerfull content management system.

Has anybody ever attempted to do this?

Cheers,

Hans