[opencms-dev] Lucene search module.

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Wed Aug 20 20:38:01 CEST 2003

There are ways of doing that with Lucene, and I am currently trying to
figure out the best way for a project of mine (which is similar to
yours).

The two that seem the best are:
1) Creating separate indices -- this means that each project's data is
stored in a separate set of files. This would be a fairly large
modification to the code, and would be somewhat complex to configure,
but it would accomplish the most thorough separation.

2) Use keywords or other built-in Lucene constructs to constrain
searches. Lucene supports make a particular match a requirement -- that
is, all searches must have keywordA match keywardA_value, and this can
be coded directly into the JSP. This is the easiest way to implement a
subsite search. As far as the existing code goes, though, I don't have a
way to pass that keyword information into the indexer. There should be
some parameters like this:
<keyword>
<name>Subsite</name>
<value>myNewSite</value>
</keyword>

The above should be added on a directory-by-directory basis.

Anyway... those ideas are for the future. For now, you'd probably have
to either write a new implementation of I_DocumentHandler or extend the
appropriate I_DocumentHandler implementations.

Matt

M Butcher <mbutcher at grcomputing.net>