[opencms-dev] Charset problems in doument properties

Patrick Beckmann Patrick.Beckmann at web.de
Mon Sep 8 12:59:02 CEST 2003

Hello,

my system is running Gentoo 1.4 with the environment variable
LANG="de_DE at Euro".
Tomcat 4.1.24 is running with he option "-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-15"
and OpenCMS 5.0 with option "defaultContentEncoding=ISO-8859-15".
MySQL 3.23.57 is running without command line options.

Problem: There is no chance to save special characters like german
"Umlaute" or "ß" in the document title or in the other fields of file
properties. All special chars in those fields are saved as "�".
Saving "Umlaute" etc. in a document's body makes no problems.

I experimented with setting the encodings to ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8. With
the first one the problems were all the same. With UTF-8 I was unable to
save "Umlaute" in an document's body.

Question: What has to be done, that document bodies and their
meta-information fields both can contain special characters?

Greetings,
Patrick Beckmann