[opencms-dev] indipendent web application with OpenCMS

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Mon Sep 8 19:19:01 CEST 2003

I suppose that there are a number of ways of doing this, but here are a
few ideas.

* Write a simple JSP that returns the information you need in XML.
Essentially, this would wrap data and metadata from OpenCMS in XML
documents. Since the documents themselves are already XML documents, and
XML parsers and utilities are already in the OpenCMS system, I think
this should be relatively fast to develop. Since this would be a "read
only" mechanism, the built in security should suffice.

* Write a SOAP interface to the system. I have that here on my list of
'to do' items, but while I've given it significant thought, I haven't
even begun implementing it. As I see it, there are really two different
ways of implementing SOAP: 1) Implementing it as a file-getting protocol
(e.g. 'fetchFile' or fetchFileNames' or things like that) or 2)
Implementing the entire CMS functionality (which would allow you do do
remote updating and publishing). (1) would be a LOT easier, probably
small enough to code in a week or two. (2) would be a very significant
amount of work, but would open all of OpenCMS up to external editors,
etc.

Matt

--
M Butcher <mbutcher at grcomputing.net>