[opencms-dev] Apache and Tomcat Integration

Ben Rometsch ben at solidstategroup.com
Wed Sep 10 09:24:02 CEST 2003

Hi There,

Can someone explain the steps required to get an OpenCMS site running with
Apache2 and Tomcat? I've spent hours trying to figure this out and am going
nuts!

I have a virtual host setup in Apache2 so that requests going to a specific
DNS are handled by the openCMS webapp in Tomcat. My current httpd.conf
fragment looks like this:

-----------
<VirtualHost blahblah.blahblah.com>
   JkMount /opencms ajp13
   JkMount /opencms/* ajp13

   JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteRule /(.*) /opencms/opencms/RGLIntranet/$1 [PT]

   <Directory /opt/tomcat/webapps/opencms>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI MultiViews
        AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
-----------

And in the tomcat server.xml I have:

-----------
<Host name="dvrglsolidstategroup.gotdns.org" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="false">
directory="logs" prefix="intranet" suffix=".log" timestamp="true"/>
   <Context path="" docBase="opencms" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
</Host>
-----------

The application is called RGLIntranet. Note that I have not made changes to
WEB-INF/web.xml or WEB-INF/config/opencms.properties yet (I have seen docs
refer to this - more later. Now, if I go to blahblah.blahblah.com I get the
site but the images are broken. If I edit web.xml and swap

<servlet-name>OpenCmsServlet</servlet-name>
With
<url-pattern>/opencms/*</url-pattern>

And then edit WEB-INF/config/opencms.properties and swap

url_prefix_http=/${WEB_APP_NAME}/opencms
With
url_prefix_http=

I get a tomcat "The requested resource () is not available." error.

Is there a simple guide on how to do this? It seems absurdly complex for
such a standard setup...

Thanks,
Ben