[opencms-dev] Umlaut character problems

Petr Hollay ph at ethikom.de
Mon Sep 15 10:48:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

which JDK and platform are you using?

Regards
Petr

-----Original Message-----
From: opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org
[mailto:opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org]On Behalf Of A. Schirmacher
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 9:11 AM
To: opencms-dev at opencms.org
Subject: [opencms-dev] Umlaut character problems

I am using OpenCMS 5.0 in its default configuration:

The opencms.properties file has an entry:

defaultContentEncoding=ISO-8859-1

and I have a shell variable

CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1

When I create a new page and I use umlaut (äöüß)
characters for the Title of the page or for the
navigation string, the title is displayed with a
question mark in the explorer view, and the navigation
string is displayed with a question mark at all web
pages. The question mark is of course where the umlaut
character was.

The body text however displays umlaut characters
correctly.

What is going wrong here? Please advise.