[opencms-dev] Tomcat IP access restriction / OpenCMS based restriction...?

marius popa mapopa at reea.net
Wed Oct 15 19:59:01 CEST 2003

ambiesense at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. How can I configure Tomcat that only one IP address (i.e. 193.10.1.120)
> can access available directories and JSP files, all other IP addresses shall
> be denied. Maybe somebody can provide parts of tomcats configuration files for
> that (server.xml, web.xml, etc.).

try to put an apache in front listening on 80 port and
tomcat on 8080
and using modproxy or mod jk
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html

here is an example in the httpd.conf how  modproxy can be used (i think
default is enabled )

  ProxyPass         / http://localhost:8080/
  ProxyPassReverse  / http://localhost:8080/

Then 8080 could be cut with the firewall for the outside
Apache can be made to listen to only one ip using the Bind or Listen in
configuration (search thouse words)

> If somebody knows a good tutorial (outside the Jarkarta Webpage) which
> covers this problem, I would like to know about it.
>
> 2. How can I restrict IP based access based on OpenCMS? Maybe somebody can
> provide some JSP/Java code for that? Does OpenCMS provide Management
> facilities to restrict and log access?

with apache you can restrict pages to some ips only