Running on Tomcat 5 [Was: Re: [opencms-dev] Ok, finally ...

Ilja imhehenkamp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 19:23:01 CEST 2003

Hi!

> Hi
>
> just a thought (followed by others ;-), as i had similar problems (like
> install goes fine, but connection fails), i came to the point that mysql
> didn't support the encoding i choose (8859-15) for JVM and OpenCMS.
> I had to really look at the backtraces or logs to find this so double
> check this through any log you have.
> It is rather strange tough since i had the installed (and used a little)
> the same opencms version on the same system twice or more with my
> prefered encoding.

This could be my problem too. As I said, I try installing it on macosx
and have set my encoding to MacRoman in opencms.properties... Haven't
found any related errors yet btw...

> About tomcat 5 specifics, i know nothing about, since i just sticked to
> the install instructions and used tomcat 4.x. Since v5 isn't mentioned
> to be even 'likely to work, but (experimental|not tested), you could
> expect this kind of behavior.
> I know this for my tries to get opencms to works with jboss
> (http://www.jboss.org). And i soon will try with BigApache
> (http://www.bigapache.org).

Never mind about Tomcat 5, I will run 4.1.12 to stay out of trouble. Just
want to have opencms up and running

> It would be so cool if you were to summarize all the points you
> encoutered until the blocking step, and post it to this list and/or
> the forums for helpers,developers and adventurers like you.

I will try so

> Anyway, maybe the opencms devs could give their point of view about
> opencms compared with new Servlets 2.4 / JSP 2.0 specs implemented
> by tomcat 5 ?

I find it strange that Tomcat 5 isn't supported yet and the developers
didn't even tested it. The new specs are out for some time now as is
Tomcat 5.

Ilja