[opencms-dev] Next version info (was: RE: Large number of users)

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Sat Oct 18 01:36:00 CEST 2003

Markus,

- there is no set date for the next major OpenCms,
  but it will certainly not be available before Q2/2004

- the next major OpenCms release will be version 6

- there will be some kind of an alpha release before,
  with a subset of the v6 target features

- this alpha relase will likley have a 5.3.x version
  number, and be available until end of this year

- the resource broker / DB structure has been rewritten
  completly, and the new stuff is already in the HEAD CVS

- the new DB structure has an API that makes it much
  easier to add external authentication to OpenCms

- the DB APIs in the CVS HEAD are still subject
  to change until v6 is released

- community feedback on the new API is very welcome,
  additions / patches / fixes are even more welcome

- there will be an update path v5 -> v6, for most of the
  vfs data it will be a simple export / import

- a bugfix 5.0.1 version will also be available until
  end of this year, this will have no new features

- it's true that a commercial LDAP implementation will
  be available from Alkacon for the v6 version

- don't worry, Alkacon is still fully committed to OpenCms as
  true open source software, OpenCms v6 will have multiple
  new features to prove this

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior